Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This "Southern Living" recipe is great served with roasted chicken or baked pork chops.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 large sweet onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add olive oil, onions and sugar.
- Cook, stirring often 25 to 30 minutes or until onions are golden brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large saucepan bring potatoes and chicken broth to a boil and cook 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes well.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup butter to potatoes and mash until smooth.
- Whisk together whipping cream and next 7 ingredients.
- Add to potatoes mixing well.
- Spoon half of potato mixture into lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Spoon caramelized onions evenly over potatoes.
- Spoon remaining potatoes evenly over onions.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden.
I haven't actually served this to my family yet, but I have it waiting in the oven and I have, of course, taste-tested it. Yum. Delicious. Thank you, thank you.