Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This "Southern Living" recipe is great served with roasted chicken or baked pork chops.
Make and share this Potato Casserole With Caramelized Onions recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 large sweet onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add olive oil, onions and sugar.
- Cook, stirring often 25 to 30 minutes or until onions are golden brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large saucepan bring potatoes and chicken broth to a boil and cook 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes well.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup butter to potatoes and mash until smooth.
- Whisk together whipping cream and next 7 ingredients.
- Add to potatoes mixing well.
- Spoon half of potato mixture into lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Spoon caramelized onions evenly over potatoes.
- Spoon remaining potatoes evenly over onions.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden.
I haven't actually served this to my family yet, but I have it waiting in the oven and I have, of course, taste-tested it. Yum. Delicious. Thank you, thank you.