2 hrs 30 mins
Luby Luby Luby's Note:
This "Southern Living" recipe is great served with roasted chicken or baked pork chops.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 large sweet onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1Melt 1/4 cup butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add olive oil, onions and sugar.
- 3Cook, stirring often 25 to 30 minutes or until onions are golden brown.
- 4Remove from heat and set aside.
- 5In large saucepan bring potatoes and chicken broth to a boil and cook 20 minutes or until tender.
- 6Drain potatoes well.
- 7Add remaining 1/2 cup butter to potatoes and mash until smooth.
- 8Whisk together whipping cream and next 7 ingredients.
- 9Add to potatoes mixing well.
- 10Spoon half of potato mixture into lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.
- 11Spoon caramelized onions evenly over potatoes.
- 12Spoon remaining potatoes evenly over onions.
- 13Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Casserole With Caramelized Onions
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.0
- Calories from Fat 400
- Total Fat 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.5 g
- Cholesterol 204.9 mg
- Sodium 723.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 12.5 g