Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
The only recipe my late mother-in-law would consent to sharing with me! This is scrumptious and is an excellent accompaniment to any meal.
- 500 g potatoes, peeled and left whole
- 1 onion, peeled and left whole
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 2 slices middle bacon, chopped
- packaged breadcrumbs
- Cook the potatoes and the onion, (whole), in the microwave or in boiling water until just tender.
- Cut the potatoes and the onion into thick slices.
- Melt margarine in a microwave proof jug (or in a saucepan), stir in flour and mustard.
- Add evaporated milk and water.
- Microwave for 3 minutes (or return pan to heat and simmer 3 minutes).
- Add the crumbled stock cube and parmesan cheese.
- Place half the sliced potatoes in a casserole dish, place the onion and chopped bacon on top.
- Spoon half the sauce over, then layer remaining potatoes and sauce.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and more parmesan if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 25minutes at 200 deg C.
This was an excellent variation of scalloped potatoes. Very rich and creamy, and the bacon and parmesan cheese gave it a mellow goodness. I peeled and sliced potatoes prior to microwaving because it's easier to slice them raw. I used fat free evaporated milk and Hormel's real bacon bits. I also used dried minced onion flakes. This is a keeper.