Recipe by Tomboy
The only recipe my late mother-in-law would consent to sharing with me! This is scrumptious and is an excellent accompaniment to any meal.
Top Review by papergoddess
This was an excellent variation of scalloped potatoes. Very rich and creamy, and the bacon and parmesan cheese gave it a mellow goodness. I peeled and sliced potatoes prior to microwaving because it's easier to slice them raw. I used fat free evaporated milk and Hormel's real bacon bits. I also used dried minced onion flakes. This is a keeper.
- 500 g potatoes, peeled and left whole
- 1 onion, peeled and left whole
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 2 slices middle bacon, chopped
- packaged breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the potatoes and the onion, (whole), in the microwave or in boiling water until just tender.
- Cut the potatoes and the onion into thick slices.
- Melt margarine in a microwave proof jug (or in a saucepan), stir in flour and mustard.
- Add evaporated milk and water.
- Microwave for 3 minutes (or return pan to heat and simmer 3 minutes).
- Add the crumbled stock cube and parmesan cheese.
- Place half the sliced potatoes in a casserole dish, place the onion and chopped bacon on top.
- Spoon half the sauce over, then layer remaining potatoes and sauce.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and more parmesan if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 25minutes at 200 deg C.