Recipe by Linda Graham
My family has loved this forever and get excited when I tell them I am going to make it. The original recipe called for parboiled potatoes grated, that was too much work and it is just as good with the hashbrowns. MMMMmmmmm. Fattening but worth it.
Top Review by jen
Gave this recipe 4 stars ONLY because my whole family of 7 thought it was too 'sour' tasting. So NEXT time I make it (and I WILL make it again, because even though they all said this they still LOVED it!) I will use half the amount of sour cream. The other change I made was that I used a shredded Mexican Blend of cheese instead of cheddar. I baked according to the recipe. Used frozen potatoes and put it in the preheated oven for 1.5 hrs and it came out nice and bubbly and brown around the edges. This one (as I've modified it) is definitely a keeper. Served it with fried pork chops, great northern beans and apple sauce. DELICIOUS!
- 2 lbs frozen cubed hash browns, partially thawed
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- crushed potato chips, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients, except potato chips together well (this can be done right in the pan to save dishes).
- Spread into 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Top with potato chip crumbs (I have used crushed corn flakes too, just as good) Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with meat course.