Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
casserole (derivative of Greek "kyathos") (n): 1: a deep round usu. porcelain dish with a handle used. (2) a dish in which food may be baked and served. (3) the food cooked and served in a casserole.
- 8 potatoes, cooked and coarsely mashed
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1⁄3 cup chopped chives
- 16 fluid ounces sour cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Melt the butter and cheese in a saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and add the sour cream, chives, salt and pepper.
- Fold into the mashed potatoes and place in a greased casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 325°F for 25 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle more grated cheese on top, and return to the oven just until cheese is melted.
WOW! This is so delicious. I got a tad bit brazen and added 1/2 cup finely crushed, real bacon bits the second time I made this recipe. We were in comfort food heaven!
I have a very similar recipe but without the added cheese, this addition just made this potato casserole that little bit more flavourful, and with the chives folded through a nice colour too. Lovely addition to our Harvest cookathon. Thanks Miller! I scaled this recipe for 4 servings.
This was wonderful! I added 1/2 cup diced ham and doubled the recipe. Took half to a house bound friend and kept the other one for my own family. Hits all around, thanks!