Recipe by mortar&pestle
My dad's own recipe - like an rustic version of potato dauphanoise. Best eaten on a winters night. Bacon can be removed to make it vegetarian.
Top Review by Nodnyl
I have been making a dish very close to this one for many years. This one is very good, but in my experience, some chopped onions (yellow or green) and a few dashes of either Tobasco Sauce or flaked red peppers do it wonders! I brown the onions before using in the recipe, and sometimes do the whole thing in the skillet, covering near the end to steam.
- 2 kg potatoes, large waxy
- 250 ml cream
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 400 g bacon, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 200C, grease a large casserole dish.
- Peel and slice potatoes using a mandolin into a bowl of water.Layer potatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish until covered and add 1/3 of the cheese and 1/3 of the cream. Sprinkle bacon across the top.
- Add a second layer of potato, cheese, cream and bacon.
- Repeat until casserole dish is full to the top.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and add salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle the paprika across the top.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through and top is golden brown.
- Serve hot.