Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in middle.
- Peel potatoes and thinly slice (about 1/16 inch thick), then toss with butter, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Spread evenly in a 2-quart shallow baking dish and add broth.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until top is well-browned and most of stock is absorbed, 30 to 35 minutes more.
This is like "unfried" home fries. I served it as a side with Pork Steak and Sauerkraut for a tasty combination. The leftovers were fried with onions to go with bacon and eggs the next morning. Thanks for a great double duty recipe Skippy. Made and enjoyed for PAC Spring '09.
I use this recipe all the time, sometimes adding chopped garlic and chives, but it's great just the way it is. This is also a good dairy free alternative to the traditional potato casserole using dairy free margarine in place of the butter.