Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
True comfort food from Paula's Home Cooking. Haven't tried this yet, but will soon.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 small bell pepper, sliced thin
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 4 medium potatoes, cooked
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spread mashed potatoes evenly on bottom of casserole dish.
- Layer sour cream evenly over top. Sprinkle House Seasoning, to taste.
- Saute onion and bell pepper in butter; evenly layer over top of sour cream.
- Slice potatoes and layer over onions and bell peppers. Add butter. Sprinkle House seasoning.
- Finally top with cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and crumble bacon over top.
- Cook's Note: Leftover mashed potatoes work wonderfully in this recipe.
My daughter saw Paula make this on TV while recovering from childbirth, and called to ask me to make it for her. It is one of the best things ever. To prepare, I baked 6 large baking potatoes, taking four of them out of the oven when they still had a bit of resistance to them when poked with a fork. The other two I baked thoroughly, cut in half, and scooped them out, mashing with some milk and salt. I peeled the other almost done potatoes and cut into thick slices. I also didn't mix up the house seasoning, rather sprinkling with each seasoning separately. I'll be making these again for Sunday brunch. They may be a coronary in a casserole, but heck....once or twice a year? It wouldn't be a good life without such wonderfully sinful treats now and again!