Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My hubby has never been a fan of vegan cheese recipes, but when he tasted this one, he said it was a keeper. It's one of our favorite recipes and it's very easy to make. Guilt-free comfort food.
- 3 -4 large potatoes, peeled, diced large
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped in chunky pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (or more if needed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 5 cups cooked ziti
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place potatoes, carrots, water (should be enough to come about 1/2 inch from the top of the potatoes and carrots), salt, chicken seasoning, onion powder and garlic salt together in a pot, mix together, and cook on medium heat till potatoes and carrots are soft.
- While veggies are cooking, heat water for ziti noodles; when boiling add ziti noodles.
- Cook till al dente.
- When veggies are done, cool or add a couple ice cubes to cool it down.
- Blend together with nutritional yeast flakes and oil until smooth.
- Add more water if it's too thick, add more salt if needed, should be a little on the salty side as the pasta will absorb some of the salt.
- Drain the ziti noodles.
- Pour"cheese" sauce over ziti noodles in a casserole dish and mix inches.
- Place dish in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
I have made at least 20 different vegan mac and cheeses. This one is about average. It's got a wonderful, creamy texture, but I found it to be a little bland. Needs more cheese flavor! Sadly, my search for REALLY GOOD vegan mac and cheese continues.
What a wonderful treat! My son is allergic to dairy, egg, and soy, and misses creamy mac and cheese. I was so surprised when we made this dish. His eyes literally rolled back in his head when he took his first bite. Even my daughter and I (who are not vegan) loved the flavor and texture. We will definitely be having this on a regular basis. THANK YOU!
Excellent vegan cheese. Looks like gooey melted cheese. Tastes great and easy to make. We didn't put it in the oven; just mixed and served. My boys all loved it. The cheese would work good on Mexican dishes or enchiladas as well.