Recipe by GypsyWinds
One of the FIRST treats made for all our Holiday gatherings or parties. People can't stop eating it! This candy was first introduced to me by my husband 21 years ago. I thought the man was insane when I heard the name of it, and when I saw the ingredients, I knew he was crazy. I was addicted after the first bite! Please read the instructions carefully as size DOES matter! One of the most intense flavors I have ever met, completely satisfying for anyone craving sweets.
Top Review by mandapol1980
When I was a kid growing up in Louisiana my moms best friend would make this for me. I am now 35 and I finally found the recipe I have been looking for forever and I can't wait to make it. Thank you so much for posting it.
- 1 small russet potatoes or 1 small yukon gold potato, etc
- 2 (907.18 g) bag powdered sugar
- 236.59 ml peanut butter (amount really depends on how thick you like it)
- 236.59 ml pecan meal (I buy my pecan meal at the health food store)
Directions See How It's Made
- wash the potato well - and boil in enough water to cover it completely until extremely well cooked.
- rinse potato in cold water while removing skin, allowing it to cool down slightly.
- place potato in large mixing bowl and smash to a smooth paste.
- add powdered sugar and mix well, until it forms a smooth dough.
- roll dough out on a smooth surface sprinkled with powdered sugar so it will not stick.
- spread peanut butter on in a smooth layer, not too thick.
- sprinkle on pecan meal.
- roll up into a log, as tight as you can without breaking dough.
- slice into sections approximately 1/2 inch and place on a serving tray.
- Do Not Stack candy on top of each other!
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 30 min to chill and set.
- *NOTE: If you cannot find Pecan Meal you can use finely chopped pecans, or make your own by placing the nuts in food processor - adding a small amount of granulated sugar to keep the meats from turning into a tight paste.
- **Special Variations:.
- One year I used an all Natural Cashew Butter. Again from my health food store. They were absolutely FANTASTIC!
- These are a great finger food to be served at parties of any caliber. We have taken them to picnic family reunions, and added them to weddings, where everyone brings food to add to the reception. They are a No Fail addition to any meal.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Photo to follow soon.
- I am unsure of time, the longest period is while the potato cooks.
- (Potato can be cooked ahead of time, wrapped & stored in refrigerator until used- up to 5 days).