This recipe comes from a Nigel Slater book. It makes enough for 3 as a light lunch. Use thinly sliced pancetta and leftover cold boiled potatoes. You don't have to use gruyere cheese you can use any easy melting cheese you fancy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Use thinly sliced pancetta or you could use streaky bacon I suppose - I'm sure it would be just as nice.
- 2Slice the cheese into thinnish slices.
- 3Grate the cold potatoes using the coarse side of the grater.
- 4Using a large non stick frying pan (Large - so you can use it to fry the potato cakes afterwards).
- 5Fry the slices of pancetta until the fat turns golden. Then remove and set to one side.
- 6Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- 7Shape with your hands into flat patties - you should have enough to make about six.
- 8Melt the butter with the olive oil in the pan. When the butter starts to fizz, using a slotted metal slice, slide three of the potato cakes inches Be careful as you do that they don't spit.
- 9Cook over a moderate heat until they are golden underneath.
- 10Now carefully, so they don't break, turn them over. If they do break don't fuss just shape them best you can and carry on - they'll taste just as good.
- 11Cook until both sides are golden.
- 12Take them out and keep warm while you repeat with the remaining cakes.
- 13Return the cooked cakes to the pan.
- 14Divide the cooked pancetta between the cakes and lay the cheese on top.
- 15Cover the pan with a lid and continue to cook for a couple of minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- 16Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Cakes With Pancetta and Melted Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.5
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 54.4 mg
- Sodium 173.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 14.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: