I saw him make this recipe on his show Chef at Home (Food Network Canada). I use a non stick frying pan for this, so I'm able to fry with minimal fat. In this case I used vegetable oil instead of the bacon fat. Prep time does not include cooling time.
- Steam potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Fry bacon until crispy, strain off fat and set aside.
- Smash steamed potatoes and add the bacon, onions, cheese, egg and season with salt and pepper.
- Let cool.
- Form potato mixture into four patties.
- Put reserved bacon fat into a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add a touch more cooking oil if necessary.
- Fry potato cakes until golden and heated through.