Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I saw him make this recipe on his show Chef at Home (Food Network Canada). I use a non stick frying pan for this, so I'm able to fry with minimal fat. In this case I used vegetable oil instead of the bacon fat. Prep time does not include cooling time.
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, quartered
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- Steam potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Fry bacon until crispy, strain off fat and set aside.
- Smash steamed potatoes and add the bacon, onions, cheese, egg and season with salt and pepper.
- Let cool.
- Form potato mixture into four patties.
- Put reserved bacon fat into a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add a touch more cooking oil if necessary.
- Fry potato cakes until golden and heated through.
I totally forgot about making these until last night. Comfort food heaven.
Delicious! I had to cook mine for a bit longer than specified in the recipe to get them brown, but they are absolutely delicious! Can't wait to have the ones leftover for breakfast tomorrow morning! Thanks for sharing!
We loved these so much! I made them to go along with sausage, peppers and onions on the side. What a great breakie!