Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I have to try this for a Sunday Brunch!!
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup fresh white mushroom, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, minced or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, about 3 medium
- 1 large egg, fork beaten
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 cup medium cheddar, grated
- water, to cover
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 8 large eggs
- Melt margarine in small frying pan on medium-high.
- Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until mushrooms are softened. Transfer to medium bowl.
- Add next 4 ingredients. Stir well. Shape mixture into 8 patties, using about 1/4 cup for each.
- Combine flour and paprika in small shallow dish. Press both sides of each patty into flour mixture until coated.
- Heat cooking oil in large frying pan on medium-high. Add patties. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side until golden. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Sprinkle cheese over each patty. Cover to keep warm.
- Pour water into large saucepan until 3 inches deep. Add vinegar. Stir. Bring to a boil on medium. Reduce heat to medium-low. Water should continue to simmer.
- Break eggs, 1 at a time, into shallow dish. Slip each egg into water until all eggs are submerged. Cook each egg for 2-3 minutes until white is set and yolk reaches desired doneness.
- Remove each cooked egg with slotted spoon. Place 1 egg on top of each patty.
- Transfer 2 egg-topped potato cakes to each of 4 plates.