1/1 Photo of Potato Cakes
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Yummmm I could eat these till I pop.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup diced seeded tomato
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 5 medium russet potatoes, with skins
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons shredded parmesan-reggiano cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1Boil potatoes for 25-30 mins or until mostly soft, but still slightly firm. Potato cakes will hold together best when the potatoes are not totally mushy.
- 2As the potatoes boil make the Herbed Ranch Salsa by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and chill till needed.
- 3Drain potatoes and mash with skins on in medium bowl. and don't overly mash, just make sure there are small chunks of potato.
- 4Add remaining potato cake ingredients and mix well.
- 5Combine breadcrumbs with flour and 1 Teaspoon of Dill in large bowl.
- 6Combine beaten egg & milk in another large bowl.
- 7Measure approx 1/2 cup of potato mixture into your hands and shape into a patty about the size of a hamburger patty.
- 8Drop potato mixture into breading mixture, then into egg & milk, and then back into breading mixture. Be sure to cover entire surface with breading. Arrange the potato cakes on a plate, repeat the process with remaining potato mixture.
- 9Cover and chill the potato cakes for one hour so they will be sure to stick together when fried.
- 10Heat up shortening in skillet over medium-low heat.There should be about 1" of shortening in the pan.
- 11Fry the potato cakes in the oil 2-4 minutes or until golden brown, then drain on rack or paper towels.
- 12Serve with Herbed Ranch Salsa drizzled over top.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (1868 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.8
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 44.9 mg
- Sodium 826.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 10.9 g