Cook1 hr 30 mins
Yummmm I could eat these till I pop.
Make and share this Potato Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup diced seeded tomato
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 5 medium russet potatoes, with skins
- 1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons shredded parmesan-reggiano cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- oil (about 2-3 cups, for frying)
- Boil potatoes for 25-30 mins or until mostly soft, but still slightly firm. Potato cakes will hold together best when the potatoes are not totally mushy.
- As the potatoes boil make the Herbed Ranch Salsa by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and chill till needed.
- Drain potatoes and mash with skins on in medium bowl. and don't overly mash, just make sure there are small chunks of potato.
- Add remaining potato cake ingredients and mix well.
- Combine breadcrumbs with flour and 1 Teaspoon of Dill in large bowl.
- Combine beaten egg & milk in another large bowl.
- Measure approx 1/2 cup of potato mixture into your hands and shape into a patty about the size of a hamburger patty.
- Drop potato mixture into breading mixture, then into egg & milk, and then back into breading mixture. Be sure to cover entire surface with breading. Arrange the potato cakes on a plate, repeat the process with remaining potato mixture.
- Cover and chill the potato cakes for one hour so they will be sure to stick together when fried.
- Heat up shortening in skillet over medium-low heat.There should be about 1" of shortening in the pan.
- Fry the potato cakes in the oil 2-4 minutes or until golden brown, then drain on rack or paper towels.
- Serve with Herbed Ranch Salsa drizzled over top.
I sooo love this recipe. It does take a long time at first,but I'm getting faster everytime I make it. :) I add more cheese & dill.
This was amazing! Next time I'm going to try it with a little more cheese and Panko breadcrumbs instead of plain breadcrumbs. I think that will make the cakes a little more authentic.
My boyfriend and I have been ordering these at the restaurant every time we go to eat, he can't get enough of them. I found this recipe and was excited to try it. It wasn't hard to follow, just a bit time consuming and like someone else said, I would probably make the potato mix in advance. Next time I would also double the amount of cheese, I think that will help it bind better, and I love cheese. I used a hamburger press to make the patties and that helped keep them together. As for the dip, it's not quite how the restaurant serves it, but it's decent. I'm still trying to figure out what it's missing, maybe ketchup? If you figure it out, please help. Overall, I will make this again for my boyfriend who ate 4 right after I fried them.