Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
These delicious little cakes are one of my weaknesses! I like to make them and put them in my lunch box.
- 175 g floury potatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 3 eggs, separated
- 25 g vegetarian parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 6 - 8 minutes until just tender, drain and allow to cool.
- Grate the potatoes and add the creme fraiche, egg yolks and cheese. Season if desired.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- beat a little egg white into the potato mixture and then fold in the rest.
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan and lightly oil four round cutters (I use small food tins with both ends removed) place the cutters in the pan and quarter fill each with the potato mixture.
- Cook the cakes for about a minute until the bottoms are set and then finish off under a hot grill until the tops are golden and set.
- Serve the cakes split and buttered or with fried mushrooms and a poached egg.