Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mum made these for us as kids, now we make them for our kids.
Make and share this Potato Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- Peel and grate the potatoes-work quickly or they will go pink then black very quickly.
- Squeeze as much moisture as you can from the potatoes, then add the eggs, flour salt and pepper and mix well.
- I like a lot of salt and pepper as they can be a bit bland otherwise.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan over medium to high heat.
- When the butter is foaming, drop spoonfuls of the mix into the pan (about 3 tablespoons per cake). I can usually fit about 5 or 6 of these potato cakes in my pan.
- Flatten each cake a little then cook for about 5-8 minutes aside, turn and repeat.
- Remove to a warm dish and repeat with more butter and remaining mixture.
- It's really important to cook these right through as they are pretty yucky if the potato is still raw,.
- My mum used to add diffeent herbs, bacon, cheese, ground beef, what ever she had on hand, but I always prefered them plain, with a sprinkle of vinegar over them or mayo.
These are just as good as my memory thought. I told my son they were hash browns and he couldn't get enough. My only problem was a speed issue with the potatoes starting to change colour and I think next time I might add some grated onion for flavour.