Recipe by magpie diner
Adapted from Sundays at the Moosewood. This is a gratin version, which I think could work with vegan cheese subs, using a lesser amount. Slice and serve with a crisp green salad and tomatoes for a light dinner.
- 8 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- sea salt (to taste)
- black pepper, freshly ground (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tsp dried, or sub 1 tsp fresh or 1/2 tsp dried rosemary)
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl toss the sliced potatoes, onion, garlic and bay leaves in the olive oil. Spread them onto a baking sheet, cover (ie with foil), and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the cover/foil and bake another 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are fully cooked.
- Combine the remaining seasonings in a bowl with the grated cheese.
- Oil a 9 inch round baking dish, layer in the potatoes with the cheese mixture, saving some cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, watch for the cheese to be melted and bubbling. Keep an eye on the top that it doesn't burn.