Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I found this in some random cookbook or another. It is SO simple and delicious! A lovely meal to come home to or eat when you feel like some comfort food.
- 1 lb cabbage (small head, cored and sliced)
- 3 russet potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 cup cooked ham (diced, lean)
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups stock
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Combine all ingredients except half-and-half in slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on high for 6 hours.
- Remove 2 cups vegetables and 1 cup liquid from cooker and puree in blender. Return to cooker and stir in half-and-half. Cook 20 minutes more.
Quite basic, but still quite good. I added diced onion for more flavor and I waited to add the ham when I added the half & half so pureeing part of the veggies would be easier. You really need to add some herbs/spices to pick up the flavor. I added some dill. I may try some other spices next time. Thanx!
What a wonderful light and easy soup! I threw this together while I was home for lunch today using pre-packaged shredded cabbage. Instead of half-and-half I used milk; I also added some fresh ground pepper to my bowl. After a quick glance in the crock, I decided not to puree the veggies - we enjoyed the texture as is. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2009.
Yum! So easy and very delicious. I chose not to make this in the crock pot but let it simmer for about an hour in a pot on top of my stove. Had a wee bit of a problem scooping out the veg without the ham coming with it, but not a major issue, just took a little longer to finish the process. :) Made for PAC Spring '08.