Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Just happened to have the ingredients on hand when I decided to combine them into this soup. It is hearty. Serve with warm crusty rolls or rye bread. Enjoy.
- 6 idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, medium dice
- 1 head cabbage, chunked
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut in half lengthwise and sliced (I use turkey smoked sausage)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained
- chicken soup base (I use Orrington's)
- fresh parsley (optional)
- Put potatoes, celery, and onion into a medium to large stock pot -.
- Cover with water and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add cabbage, sausage, and beans and continue to cook for approximately 1/2 hour.
- Adjust seasonings if needed. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if using.
WOW! A wonderful meal. I followed the directions with one change.... used pinquito beans instead of great northern beans only because I had them. Added the cabbage wedges last with the center side down. Cooked just until the cabbage was barely tender. Thanks for a great recipe! Edited to add: Have made this at least 4 more times, but w/o the beans. One of our favorite meals!