Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 4 medium baking potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 medium onion, shredded
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup horseradish
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream (substitute evaporated skim milk to reduce fat)
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
- Slice peeled potatoes 1/4 inch thick and place in medium-size stock pot.
- Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, shred cabbage and onion.
- Heat oil in medium-size sauté pan.
- Add cabbage and onion and sauté until tender.
- Add salt, pepper and caraway.
- Rub a 2-quart baking dish with butter or margarine.
- Place a third of drained potatoes on bottom of dish; sprinkle with cup of horseradish, followed by half of the cabbage mixture; top with of cream.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Top off with remaining butter.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.