Recipe by subaruthie
This is a simple potato bread recipe, mixed in a bread machine, that makes one dozen hot dog or hamburger buns, or could be used for rolls. The crust bakes very light brown, and the bread has a very smooth texture inside. These are egg-, milk-, and soy-free, which is nearly impossible to find in store-bought buns. These freeze very well for later use, and pre-sliced frozen buns defrost easily in a toaster or microwave. Preparation time assumes 5 minute ingredient assembly, 50 minute single-rise dough cycle, 5 minute dough shaping, and 15 minute rise.
Top Review by CarrolJ
This was a pretty tasty recipe. The dough was extremely sticky and to make the rolls I had to use a lot of oil on my hands. I suggest that the next time it should be made with either less water or more flour to correct. In addition I found that the bread was a bit dense. I will also increase the yeast to a more common amount, and let the rolls rise longer than just the 15 min mentioned in recipe so it will be lighter. Even though I had some problems the taste of this bread is good and is worth making adjustments next time. Made for PAC Spring 2914
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 4 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup potato flakes
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the ingredients in order to bread machine pan.
- Set on dough setting.
- After first rise, remove dough (do not let it rise a second time in the machine!).
- Divide dough into 12 equal parts (or more, depending on the size bun you need).
- To shape hot dog buns: roll dough between hands until roughly the diameter and length of a hot dog.
- To shape hamburger buns: flatten dough ball into roughly the shape of a hamburger.
- Place shaped dough on a large baking sheet that has been covered with parchment paper. This makes for very easy removal and clean up!
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Allow dough to rise for 15 minutes while oven preheats.
- Bake buns for 15-20 minutes, or until tops turn light golden brown.
- Allow buns to cool slightly before slicing.
- Buns may be frozen.
- To defrost, toast in a bagel-friendly toaster or microwave for approximately 20 seconds.