Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of our favorite comfort foods around here. It's perfect for those who want a rich creamy soup without cheese. The sour cream adds an amazing richness. Look for long leggy broccoli since you use more stem than top in this recipe. I often find I don't have a full pound of stems, but it seems to work out fine anyway.
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb broccoli stem
- 4 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons dill
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- Combine all ingredients except sour cream, parsley and broccoli florets in a large stock pot. Resist the urge to add more water -- it doesn't seem like enough, but it is, and if you add more, the consistency of the soup will be thin and watery.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes and broccoli are tender.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli florets and mash them with a potato masher or fork.
- Remove about three or four cups of the soup mixture and mash that as well.
- Add the mashed mixture and mashed florets to the pot and stir. The mixture should be thick like stew. If it's still runny, mash some more.
- Remove from heat, stir in sour cream, salt to taste and serve.