Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Leaner ingredients trim some of the fat from the classic strata. It a delicious dish to serve for breakfast or brunch, and even makes a terrific lunch or dinner! If you can't find potato bread at your market, substitute any dense white bread.
- 2 cups cubed potato bread (about 3 slices)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed lean ham
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 italian plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup egg substitute (equivalent of 4 eggs)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously spray a 2 quart, 8-inch square baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Place bread cubes in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Scatter ham cubes over bread and layer on the spinach. Sprinkle cheese over spinach. Arrange tomatoes slices over cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg substitute, eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over layered bread casserole. Bake for 1 hour or until center is set.
- Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.