Recipe by Red Apple Guy
This yeast bread recipe uses potato starch that I keep on hand and makes a soft bun for burgers, dogs, and BBQ sandwiches.
Top Review by Inna
This roll recipe is awesome. The texture was super fluffy, yet not full of air. I have never made bread like this! Definitely keeping for future use and to spoil the bf :). For the butter use room temperature! Thank you!
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch (33 g)
- 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour (1 lb)
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast (6 g)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar (12 g)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (9 g table salt)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (300 g)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter (10 g)
- 1 egg (optional beaten with 1 tsp water)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients well and let sit covered for 10 minutes. Knead for 5 to 8 minutes and tip onto the counter dusted lightly with flour.
- Stretch the dough into a rectangular shape and fold it letter-style top to bottom and side to side.
- Place in an oiled straight-sided container and cover with plastic wrap. After 15 minutes, stretch and fold the dough again and return to the container.
- When the dough is twice it's initial size, remove from bowl and on lightly floured surface, divide into 10 pieces weighing 85 g each (approximately).
- Round each piece on the counter by pressing down as you circulate your hand in a counter-clockwise direction until the piece is a smooth ball.
- Press each dough ball flat with floured hands, repeating as needed over the next 10 minutes and place on a pan or sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cover with oiled plastic and let proof for about 30 minutes or so until the dough has risen about 1 1/2 times it's volume.
- Brush with egg wash if desired and bake for 7 minutes.
- Rotate pan and bake for 7 more minutes until 190F internally.
- Cool buns on a rack until room temperature.