1/1 Photo of Potato Bread
3 hrs 45 mins
An old Pennsylvania Dutch recipe. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cool potato water to lukewarm.
- 2Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of the liquid.
- 3To the remaining liquid, add the shortening sugar and salt.
- 4Add the softened yeast and 1/2 cup of the flour.
- 5Beat; add remaining flour gradually.
- 6Turn out onto floured surface and knead until thoroughly elastic and no longer sticky (the dough should feel something like your ear lobe in texture).
- 7Place in a bowl, cover and let rise until doubled.
- 8When doubled, divide into 2 parts, shape into loaves and place in greased loaf pans.
- 9Cover and let rise again until dough doubles in bulk.
- 10Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 45 minutes or until bread shrinks a little from the sides of the pan.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1784.4
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3516.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 356.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.1 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 46.6 g