Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Melt in your mouth good. The Yukon Gold's give it a buttery taste and extra richness. From Oct 1996 Bon Appetit.
- 5 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb mushroom, any type thickly sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme (double if fresh)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary (double if fresh)
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled,very thinly sliced into rounds
- Preheat over to 400.
- Butter 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Placed cheese in bowl, add 1/2 c cream.
- Mash to chunky paste.
- Mix in salt and pepper, add remaining cream.
- Melt butter in large pot.
- Add mushrooms and herbs; sautee until tender and liquid cooks away about 8 minutes.
- Arrange half potatoes in dish.
- Spoon 3/4 c cheese sauce evenly over.
- Top with all mushroom mixture, 3/4 c cheese sauce, then remaining potatoes.
- Top with remaining cheese sauce.
- Cover dish with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake about 30 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes; serve hot.
Mmmm I made this last Friday night, unfortunately the children dont care for Blue cheese so I substituted Ricotta and still got a rich and delicious Potato Bake....there was a Little left, which my husband had the next day and said it was even better by then!!!! I am looking forward to making it as it should be, with the blue cheese, and I cant imagine that there will be ANY left over then!!!! Incidentally, it was also very quick and easy to put together. This will be my potato dish when we next entertain.
This is a delicious, sophisticated dish with a wonderful combination of textures and flavors. I did have a rough time mashing the cheese and cream, so I resorted to my immersion blender. I also used half cream/half milk, but the potatoes were still delicious and rich.