Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
My mother received this recipe when I was a child from a friend of ours who was from India. A charming man, who's food was as wonderful, as his company at our dinner table. Thank You Samson!
- 1 lb potato
- 1 lb onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 -1 1⁄2 inch gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon and chili powder
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- lemon wedge
- Peel potatoes and cut into small 1/2 inch cubes. Peel and finely chop ginger root and garlic clove. Peel and chop onions.
- In a large pot on medium-high heat add 1/2 inch of cooking oil. Fry garlic, ginger root, and onions till golden brown, while frying add curry powder, coriander powder, pepper, and chili powder.
- Next add potatoes and frozen corn and peas, fry for about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Now add enough warm water to cover potatoes plus another 3/4 inch or so. Cook on medium heat for at least 1/2 hour and add a little more water if necessary. Stir every 10 minutes at least.
- Serve plain or over rice, with lemon wedges.
- I have not made this for a while but I do know that my family has been known to only use the seasonings according to taste, so please feel free to adjust as your taste buds see fit! Enjoy!
- We have also enjoyed this dish with a little sausage or lamb as well. Added when frying the onions.