Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry. This stick to your ribs beef stew is similar to an Austrian style Potato Goulash. Serve it with crusty rolls or a grilled cheese sandwich, this is perfect comfort food on a cold winter day.
- 680.38 g stewing beef
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 red bell peppers
- 29.58 ml sun-dried tomatoes
- 59.14 ml flour
- 29.58 ml oil
- 473.18 ml beef stock
- 9.85 ml taco seasoning
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml Mexican oregano
- salt and pepper
- 566.99 g package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- Cut stewing beef into 3/4 cubes, cut onions in half, then slice them, dice red bell peppers. Finely chop the sundried tomatoes. Crush garlic cloves.
- Stir together the flour with 1 tsp salt und 1/2 a tsp of pepper in a shallow dish. Add the beef cubes a few at the time and toss so that they are coated. Pat off excess flour.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan, add the beef cubes in batches and brown them on all sides. Remove beef with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Add the sliced onions to the hot oil ( add more oil if nessecary) in the pan and cook until browned, 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the diced bell peppers, crushed garlic, chopped tomatoes, cumin, coriander and taco seasoning and saute for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper, return meat to the pot, add Oregano, stir to combine.
- Add enough stock to cover the meat, cover pan and cook over low heat, stirring once in a while.
- Heat the oven to 350°, put the covered pan in the oven, stirring occasionally. After @ 1 hour, add one 20oz bag of "simply potatoes" diced potatoes with onions, return to the oven and cook until the meat is very tender and falls apart and the potatoes are cooked, about another hour. Add more stock if the meat seems dry.
- Taste for seasonings, serve sprinkeld with spring onions. If a thicker gravy is desired, make a slurry of one teaspoon cornstarch and one tsp water, add to the stew, bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes.