1/1 Photo of Potato Beef Stew
2 hrs 30 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry. This stick to your ribs beef stew is similar to an Austrian style Potato Goulash. Serve it with crusty rolls or a grilled cheese sandwich, this is perfect comfort food on a cold winter day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs stewing beef
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 1Cut stewing beef into 3/4 cubes, cut onions in half, then slice them, dice red bell peppers. Finely chop the sundried tomatoes. Crush garlic cloves.
- 2Stir together the flour with 1 tsp salt und 1/2 a tsp of pepper in a shallow dish. Add the beef cubes a few at the time and toss so that they are coated. Pat off excess flour.
- 3Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan, add the beef cubes in batches and brown them on all sides. Remove beef with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- 4Add the sliced onions to the hot oil ( add more oil if nessecary) in the pan and cook until browned, 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Add the diced bell peppers, crushed garlic, chopped tomatoes, cumin, coriander and taco seasoning and saute for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper, return meat to the pot, add Oregano, stir to combine.
- 6Add enough stock to cover the meat, cover pan and cook over low heat, stirring once in a while.
- 7Heat the oven to 350°, put the covered pan in the oven, stirring occasionally. After @ 1 hour, add one 20oz bag of "simply potatoes" diced potatoes with onions, return to the oven and cook until the meat is very tender and falls apart and the potatoes are cooked, about another hour. Add more stock if the meat seems dry.
- 8Taste for seasonings, serve sprinkeld with spring onions. If a thicker gravy is desired, make a slurry of one teaspoon cornstarch and one tsp water, add to the stew, bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.5
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 108.8 mg
- Sodium 658.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 40.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion