Recipe by OZmark
Potato bake, great for pot luck, barbeques, or even to feed the masses. This tasty potato bake is simple in its ingredients list, yet it is delicious and will have them coming back for more and be the request for future parties. The bacon and onion cooked through the potatoes and cream is really something.
Top Review by JPsBarbie
My husband and son enjoyed these as a change from regular scalloped potatoes...they have bacon is there anything more that needs to be said?! After all everything is better with bacon! I chopped the bacon and crisped it a bit before adding the onions to carmelize and then layered them between the potatoes. In the past, I found that the raw onion just doesn't cook enough for my liking.(2)
- 4 -6 large potatoes, peeled (preferably the brushed dirty potatoes)
- 150 g rindless bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups tasty cheese, shredded
- 400 ml single cream, that can be poured (approx)
- salt, to taste
- cracked pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat over to 180 Degrees Celcius first.
- Peel and slice potatoes along the their length (about 3 mm thick) either on a vegetable slicer or with a knife.
- Dice bacon and onion into small pieces. Not too fine though.
- Layer potato into a oven proof dish (I use a pyrex one, 35cmx22cmx5cm).
- Sprinkle part of the bacon and onion over the potatoes.
- Repeat layers until the last of the bacon and onion are used on top, making sure that it is not filled too high as the cheese needs to cover the potato in the dish.
- Pour in cream until it is approx half way up the side of the potato bake. Make sure that the top layer is NOT swimming in cream.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle cheese over top, achieving a nice even layer.
- Place in oven on middle shelf and cook for approximately 1 hour, until potatoes can be pierced with a fork easily and the cheese is a beautiful golden colour.
- This will definitely have them coming back for seconds!