Recipe by Olha
Layered potato dishes made with or without cheese are family favorites. The liquid can be stock, milk, or even whipping cream for the richest taste.
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Butter an 8 cup ovenproof baking dish. Scatter with the garlic.
- Overlap the potatoes on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with the cheese. Repeat the layers, finishing with cheese. Season each potato layer with salt and pepper. Combine milk and thyme and pour over the potatoes.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the milk is absorbed and the potatoes are cooked through and golden brown on top. Serves 6.
- Lucy Waverman’s Seasonal Canadian Cookbook.