Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was posted for the Zaar World Tour 2006. Potatoes are one of the staples of Scandinavian cooking, combining the with Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese makes this a wonderful side dish or if you serve it with a side salad it could even serve as a main. If you can't find Jarlsberg you can use gouda, cheddar or whatever your favourite cheese is instead.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Grease a square baking pan and layer the poatato slices until about 3/4 inch thick.
- Season with salt and pepper. Mit Pfeffer und Salz würzen.
- Cover with slices of ham followed by a layer of sliced cheese.
- Cover with little knobs of the garlic/herb butter and continue to add another layer of all ingredients, finishing with cheese and butter.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes in the middle of the oven. The cheese should be completely melted and turning golden.
Wow, so good! I used Monterey Jack cheese.
Made for Zaar World Tour II. Very nice spud dish. I used regular white potatoes, as the New Potatoes are very exspensive at the moment. I would think that this recipe would be even better with those. I also cubed the ham and my Jarlsberg is in a block, so I just grated some. ;)
I had to search several stores before I found any Jarlsberg cheese, but it was worth the search. This recipe made an excellent main dish for a late night dinner. Thanks for sharing the recipe!