1/2 Photos of Potato-Bacon Chowder
A satisfying comfort food that can be jazzed-up with the same toppings you would put on a baked potato (cheese, green onions, bacon). This is a great soup for a pot-luck, because it is universally enjoyed by kids and adults. NOTE: The original version called for Half 'N Half, but I've found that milk works just fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare vegetables; dice onion and celery. Peel and dice potatoes into small pieces.
- 2Saute onion and celery in butter about 8 minutes over low heat until softened.
- 3Add potatoes and chicken broth. Simmer 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- 4Add cream cheese to soup (Hint: pour some of the hot soup into a mixing bowl with cream cheese; whisk to blend, and then pour this back into the soup pot).
- 5Add chopped bacon and milk (if you like a richer soup, use Half-n-Half instead of milk).
- 6Option - add a pkg. of frozen broccoli, cooked, drained and chopped, or a package of frozen corn.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Serve with additional toppings (cheese, chopped green onions, bacon).
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato-Bacon Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.8
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 45.6 mg
- Sodium 635.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 10.4 g