Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A satisfying comfort food that can be jazzed-up with the same toppings you would put on a baked potato (cheese, green onions, bacon). This is a great soup for a pot-luck, because it is universally enjoyed by kids and adults. NOTE: The original version called for Half 'N Half, but I've found that milk works just fine.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 6 cups potatoes, peeled, diced (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked, chopped
- 16 ounces milk
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Prepare vegetables; dice onion and celery. Peel and dice potatoes into small pieces.
- Saute onion and celery in butter about 8 minutes over low heat until softened.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth. Simmer 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add cream cheese to soup (Hint: pour some of the hot soup into a mixing bowl with cream cheese; whisk to blend, and then pour this back into the soup pot).
- Add chopped bacon and milk (if you like a richer soup, use Half-n-Half instead of milk).
- Option - add a pkg. of frozen broccoli, cooked, drained and chopped, or a package of frozen corn.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with additional toppings (cheese, chopped green onions, bacon).
We really enjoyed this. The flavor is very similar to my WW baked potato soup but this has more fat etc. I made the soup before the recipe was changed and the direction were different. So I have some yellow corn added into my soup. I used half-and-half which the recipe called for before the change. Very delicious soup. Thanks for posting. Made for PAC Fall 2008
Outstanding Soup ! Wow and wow again ! I made this on Saturday afernoon and enjoyed it for 3 days! I followed the recipe carefully and only change I made was to add the bacon into the soup. This has become my new favourite potato bacon chowder! Thanks, Diva, for a terrific soup that I will add to my other repeat recipes!