A satisfying comfort food that can be jazzed-up with the same toppings you would put on a baked potato (cheese, green onions, bacon). This is a great soup for a pot-luck, because it is universally enjoyed by kids and adults. NOTE: The original version called for Half 'N Half, but I've found that milk works just fine.
- Prepare vegetables; dice onion and celery. Peel and dice potatoes into small pieces.
- Saute onion and celery in butter about 8 minutes over low heat until softened.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth. Simmer 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add cream cheese to soup (Hint: pour some of the hot soup into a mixing bowl with cream cheese; whisk to blend, and then pour this back into the soup pot).
- Add chopped bacon and milk (if you like a richer soup, use Half-n-Half instead of milk).
- Option - add a pkg. of frozen broccoli, cooked, drained and chopped, or a package of frozen corn.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with additional toppings (cheese, chopped green onions, bacon).