Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great change from regular potato salad! Love it! An English take on a French recipe, now all American!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs new potatoes, scrubbed
- salt and black pepper
- 6 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small red onion, very finely sliced
- 2 red apples, such as red delicious, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives (to garnish)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- Put the potatoes into a large saucepan of boiling salted waer and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, until just tender.
- Drain, leave to cool, then cut the potatoes in half.
- Put the potatoes into a large salad bowl, add the vinaigrette dressing, and toss gently while the potatoes are still warm.
- Add the celery, onion, and apples to the potatoes.
- Mix together gently so that all the ingredients are thoroughly coated with the dressing, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Gently stir in the mayonnaise, taste for seasoning, sprinkle with the chives, and serve immediately.
- Vinaigrette Dressing: Put all into a screw-top jar and shake until well combined.
- Makes 2/3 cup.
This is the first time I made this recipe and it is the first time I had 4 ladies at the pot luck dinner ask for the recipe!! It was a BIG HIT!! I needed this to feed more folks so I doubled the potatos but I only upped the other ingredients by half ( so if it called for 1/2 cup of mayonnaise - I only upped it to 1/4 cup to a total of 3/4 cup ) and 6 celery stalks became 9.... I used red potatoes since I did not use red apples ( used gala ). I found that this process took a lot more time than the time on the recipe - things had to cool - things had to chill. I would suggest this be done on day ahead and that you plan it to take 2 to 3 hours ( with cooking and cooking and chilling ).
Fantastic. I used green apples and sweet onion, and skipped chives and mustard as I didn't have them but the salad still tasted really great. Highly recommended.
What a different tasting tater salad! I love all the crunch from the apple and celery. The mixture of the dressing and mayonnaise was very good. Going in the keeper file.