Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
My mom and I stumbled upon this concoction on the day after Christmas. I had received a french fry cutter ($20 at Bed Bath & Beyond), and we were experimenting with it. Before long, we figured out how to make little cubed potatoes, and then started cubing every veggie we had in the fridge. When we were done, we had a huge plate of cubed food and we felt bad throwing it all out. So we made the obvious decision - fry it all up in butter! It ended up tasting amazing, and I made it again to bring to a New Years Eve dinner party the next week. It received rave reviews!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 large white onion
- 4 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Chop the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Chop the celery, onion, and carrots into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Mince the garlic.
- Melt half a stick of butter in a large frying pan, over medium-high heat.
- Place potatoes, celery, onion, carrots, nutmeg, salt, and pepper into the frying pan.
- Cook vegetables, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add half a stick of butter to the pan, along with the garlic and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar.
- Cook for another 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the remaining half a stick of butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar, and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- It is done when the sweet potatoes are crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside.