Despite it's title there is no pastry in this dish. When we lived in Portugal we had this often, sometimes on it's own and at other times with pork chops or chicken. It's a wonderful blend of two of Portugal's favorite vegetables. Tonight we will have this with baked salmon.
- 6 medium sized potatoes
- 4 tablespoons red pepper paste
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 fresh red chile, seeded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes, skinned seeded and sliced
for the red pepper sauce
- 3 large red peppers, seeded and sliced into four lenghtwise
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- RED PEPPER SAUCE.
- Mix together the salt and peppers, allow to stand for 1 day.
- Heat a grill, Wash the peppers, drain and pat dry.
- Place the peppers on a baking tray skin side uppermost and place it under the grill, grill till the skin is charred.
- Allow to cool and remove the skins.
- In a blender puree the peppers with the garlic and olive oil.
- Peel and slice the potatoes, when just done drain them.
- Oil a shallow baking dish Spread a thin layer of pepper paste on the bottom of the dish. Now add the potatoes, spread the rest of the pepper paste over the potatoes.
- Top the potatoes with the sliced tomatoes.
- Chop together the parsley, garlic and chillies, mix with the oil and lemon juice. Spread the oil mix over the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200C and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.