Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
You don't have to leave this overnight but it works really well if you choose to do so. This is also known as a yapchik, which is basically a potato kugel covering either flanken or a swiss steak. If you prefer no bones, definitely go with the swiss steak which is very tender and delicious and not an expensive cut. I use this recipe for my kugel minus sauteing the onion [Recipe 71313] .
- 1 potato, kugel recipe
- 6 ounces of swiss steak of beef beef flank steak (I made up the measurements, just buy a nice sized package)
- 1 onion
- Saute the onion well on your stovetop (do not burn).
- Transfer to a baking dish (I use a foil pan) and add steak with 2 tablespoons of oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes, covered.
- Transfer the raw kugel to the hot pan, taking care to pour the entire kugel to hide the meat .Uncover and return to the oven.
- Bake until well browned. If leaving overnight keep in a 250 degree oven or on the hot plate covered.
I have never had a steak kugel - so it is instead of a cholent?