Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
To cook lentils, bring 3/4 cup water to the boil and add the lentils to it. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- 500 g new potatoes, cooked
- 90 g butter or 90 g margarine, divided
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 250 g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup red lentil, cooked
- 75 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 75 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 tablespoon extra melted butter
- Preheat oven to 180c. Spray a 23-cm round pie dish with cooking spray. Cut potatoes into 2cm chunky pieces.
- In a frying pan, heat half the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and fry gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the spinach and cook a further 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Place the spinach mixture in a mixing bowl. Add the potatoes, lentils, cheeses, eggs, mint, nutmeg and pepper. Mix well.
- Melt remaining divided butter.
- Layer 3 sheets of pastry brushing each with melted butter. Fold in half lengthwise. Place that strip across the pie dish. Repeat with remaining filo pastry.
- Place potato mixture in dish. Fold overhanging filo strips over and into the centre. Give the excess a twist.
- Brush the top with the extra butter, then bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.