Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
A delicious vegan recipe adapted from Veganomicon, the best vegan cookbook around!
- 500 g waxy potatoes
- 500 g spinach or 500 g kale, trimmed and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 6 jumbo tortillas, warmed in the microwave
- 700 g pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon marjoram or 1 teaspoon oregano
- Simmer pasta sauce with spices and herbs on very low heat while preparing the enchiladas.
- Peel and dice the potatoes and boil them until tenders - about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the oil and garlic over medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Add the kale, sprinkle with a little salt, and raise the heat to medium, stirring constantly to cover the kale with oil and garlic.
- Partially cover the pot to steam the kale until it has wilted - 4-6 minutes.
- Mix in the potatoes, stock, lime juice, pumpkin seeds, and salt. Use the back of a wooden spoon to mash some of the potatoes and cook another five minutes. Taste and season.
- Ladle some of the tomato sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish and spread it around. Take a warmed tortilla, run the potato mixture down the middle and roll up. Pack the tortillas into the casserole dish. Pour about a cup of sauce over the top when finished all the tortillas. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 375°F for 25 minutes, Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes, until edges of tortillas look a little browned.
- Top individual servings with extra sauce. Serve with a green salad and some vegan guacamole.
YUM! I don't give 5 stars very often but I really like this. And I am an omnivore! I often get kale and that is what I used for this. It took about 1.5 bunches to get 500g of kale... hubby felt it was too much so I may just use 1 bunch next time. Other changes: only 2 Tbs of oil but did have to add some water in step 5 to keep it from sticking. Omitted the cumin from the kale mixture, I felt it tasted good without it. Ahh... now I see the water in the ingredients. Both the water and the cumin are missing from the Directions. I did not have any pasta sauce but had a large can of tomato sauce. I increased the spices until it tasted good and I think I will continue to do it that way. For the tortillas I used some chapati that I get from Costco, they are raw and I cooked them on a cast iron skillet before putting in the filling. They are a little smaller so it would have taken 7 to use the filling but I only had 6. Put the leftover filling on top of everything.