Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A good standby dish to serve when entertaining.
- 1 kg potato, scrubbed, cut into 4mm slices
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 100 g butter
- 150 g smoked cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Place sliced potatoes in large pan.
- Pour over milk and stock.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer 10 minutes.
- Do not allow to soften.
- Add butter, grated cheese, salt , pepper and cream.
- Spoon into 8 cup gratin dish.
- Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake 180 degrees C for 40 minutes or till potatoes are tender.
I used smoked gouda for these. I found there to be a lot of extra liquid in the pan and lots of oil floating on top - next time, I would maybe pre-cook the potatoes a little more and reduce the liquid and the butter. That said, they were yummy! Made for ZWT 9
Ohhh, how we loved this!! Loved the richness and how the potatoes were done "just right". This is a very filling, "homey" kind of meal- but one I could see in a restaraunt,too. Thank you so much. Made for ZWT6, for the Xtra Hot Dishes.