Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Originally submitted to thanksgivingrecipe.com I'm placing some of my very best holiday recipes on Zaar for others to discover and enjoy. I haven't found anyone who didn't want seconds of this! I use the food processor to do the slicing.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 lbs baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 cups parmesan cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Melt butter or margarine in a large pot over high heat. Add all mushrooms, and saute; until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, and rosemary; saute; 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth. Simmer until liquid evaporates, stirring often, about 18 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cool.
- Position 1 rack in middle of the oven, and another rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Butter a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Peel potatoes, and cut into 1/8 inch slices.
- Arrange 1/3 of the potatoes in prepared dish, overlapping slightly.
- Top potatoes with half of the mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over mushrooms.
- Repeat layering 1/3 of the potatoes, remaining mushroom mixture, and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Arrange remaining potatoes atop cheese.
- Whisk half and half, cream, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl to blend. Pour mixture over potatoes.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Place baking dish on middle rack in oven, and a baking sheet on the bottom rack. Bake until potatoes are tender and liquid thickens, about 1 hour and 15 minutes,.
- Uncover, using metal spatula, press on potatoes to submerge.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over potatoes.
- Bake until cheese melts and gratin is golden at edges, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes.
This was a wonderful size dish with our pork tenderloin. Loved the mixture of potatoes and mushrooms. I could have eaten the mushroom all by themselves. Thanks for sharing.
Great dish! I halved the recipe and sliced the potatoes with a mandoline so that they were of uniform size. Nice mix of flavors and simple to do. Thanks Annacia.