Recipe by duonyte
A beautiful golden yellow loaf with the subtle scent of saffron. This came from a book called "Complete Book of Breads and Bread Machines". I've rewritten the instructions a bit.
Top Review by loof
Great bread recipe! The saffron flavor is delicate and the potato makes this bread very hearty. I made rolls and let them rise on a cookie sheet so they were a little flatter than they might have been otherwise but tender inside with a nice crust. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 8 ounces potatoes, peeled
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 egg
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potato. Drain, saving 7 oz. of the cooking water. Mash the potato without any additions and set aside to cool.
- Put the saffron threads into the reserved hot potato water and let them steep for at least 30 minutes. If you have time, 3-4 hours is better.
- Place all ingredients in bread machine in order recommended by manufacturer. Set on dough cycle.
- After cycle concludes, remove and shape into a round loaf or desired shape. Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise 30-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 deg. F.
- Slash loaf down and across, in a tic-tac-toe pattern. Bake for 35- 40 minutes.
- Note: I used only a 1/2 tsp of saffron threads, and that was sufficient to create a beautiful loaf. I'm sure more would have been wonderful.