Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Roasting the garlic mellows and sweetens the garlic without overpowering the soup. This is a simple 4 ingredient recipe. Spice it up if you like but this simple recipe has great qualities. Use a floury potato for it to give a velvety texture. Good served HOT with melted cheddar or gruyere cheese on french bread
- 1 head garlic (about 20 cloves)
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 7 1⁄2 cups good quality hot vegetable stock
- chopped flat leaf parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Place the unpeeled garlic bulbs or bulb in a small roasting pan and bake for 30 minutes or until soft in the center.
- Meanwhile, par-boil the potatoes in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Simmer the stock in another pan for 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and add them to the stock.
- Squeeze the garlic pulp into the soup, reserving a few whole cloves, stir and season to taste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and serve topped with whole garlic cloves and parsley.
Planned to roast quite a few bulbs of garlic, so went looking for some soothing recipes to use it in and found this. I did roast the garlic in a different way though. What a comforting delight,this tasty soup! I put in about double the amount of roasted garlic and loved every spoonful. Thanks for another GREAT recipe!