Perfect for breakfast or brunch, goes great with toasted Italian bread or savory scones.
Make and share this Potato and Prosciutto Frittata - Italian Omelet recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes, scrubbed and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped portabella mushroom
- 4 ounces diced prosciutto or 4 ounces diced ham
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons light cream
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese
- 1 cup grated fontina or 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and oil, and cook onion until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Add chopped mushrooms, diced prosciutto (or ham), dried basil, and Italian seasoning, and cook for 5-7 minutes more or until potatoes are tender.
- Allow mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a small dish, mix together dry milk with light cream until smooth.
- Add lightly beaten eggs and cream mixture to potatoes, stirring to mix well, and seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lightly oil or grease an ovenproof skillet or casserole dish.
- Pour egg mixture into pan, and bake uncovered in a preheated 350F oven for 25 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove pan from oven, and sprinkle frittata evenly with grated cheeses.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes more, or until cheeses are melted and eggs are almost set.
- Preheat oven broiler to high, and cook frittata for 1-2 minutes more, or until cheese is lightly browned.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.