Recipe by A la Carte
I'm making this to go along with some veal tonight. The recipe comes from Australian Women's Weekly.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup mild salsa
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 1⁄2 cup polenta
- canola oil, for shallow frying
- 1⁄2 cup mild salsa (for serving)
- 3 ounces hot salami, sliced thinly
- 8 ounces artichoke hearts (in brine, drained)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes until tender, drain, mash roughly.
- Stir in shallots, cheese, 1/4 cup salsa, egg white, paprika and polenta - mix well.
- Shape potato mixture into 6 patties.
- Shallow fry in batches until lightly browned on both sides and heated through. Drain on paper towel if you like.
- Meanwhile, add the salami to a clean pan, and cook, stirring until crisp.
- Top potato cakes with extra salsa, artichoke puree and salam strips.
- *For the puree: Process artichokes, garlic, cream and juice until smooth. Add oil gradually in a thin stream with motor is running.