Recipe by Jamilahs_Kitchen
We have a Somali community where I'm from and this potato and pea version of Sambusa is my favorite. double this recipe as needed
Top Review by UmmBinat
The filling was good for my sister and I as a vegetarian main dish though I used a modification of Recipe #104344 which is a "sweet" not hot curry powder mix as we dont like hot spicy. Saying that I doubled it to give more flavour. I used a canola olive oil mix instead of butter to be dairy free and cumin seed in a lesser amount. I used a garam masala spice mix I had made previously from Zaar I think. For the potatoes I used yellow ones. I didnt have any cilantro left so I added parsley and ground coriander instead. I would like to try fresh cilantro another time. The sambousa wrappers were not in the ingredients and not knowing about what sambousa is to somalians I did not realise I would need them but it worked out fine as the filling was good as a dish alone which I served with white basmati rice, Recipe #322921 and Recipe #57915 for a good pretty quick vegetarian meal.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder (spicy)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons water (with more potatoes just add a little more water to cook them)
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 2 green onions, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Heat the butter in a large frying pan; add the ginger, cumin seeds, curry powder, and garam.
- marsala and fry lightly for 1 minute or until very fragrant.
- 2. Add the potato and 3 tablespoons of water and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until.
- the potatoes are tender.
- 3. Add the peas, cilantro, and green onion and stir through.
- 4. Set aside to cool.
- 5. Fill each uncooked sambusa wrapper with a spoonful of the filling.
- 6. Close top using a flour paste. (Few Tablesppoons of flour and little water until pasty).
- 7. Fry until golden brown.
- 8. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel.