Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
We have a Somali community where I'm from and this potato and pea version of Sambusa is my favorite. double this recipe as needed
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder (spicy)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons water (with more potatoes just add a little more water to cook them)
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1. Heat the butter in a large frying pan; add the ginger, cumin seeds, curry powder, and garam.
- marsala and fry lightly for 1 minute or until very fragrant.
- 2. Add the potato and 3 tablespoons of water and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until.
- the potatoes are tender.
- 3. Add the peas, cilantro, and green onion and stir through.
- 4. Set aside to cool.
- 5. Fill each uncooked sambusa wrapper with a spoonful of the filling.
- 6. Close top using a flour paste. (Few Tablesppoons of flour and little water until pasty).
- 7. Fry until golden brown.
- 8. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel.
The filling was good for my sister and I as a vegetarian main dish though I used a modification of Julie's Curry Powder Mix which is a "sweet" not hot curry powder mix as we dont like hot spicy. Saying that I doubled it to give more flavour. I used a canola olive oil mix instead of butter to be dairy free and cumin seed in a lesser amount. I used a garam masala spice mix I had made previously from Zaar I think. For the potatoes I used yellow ones. I didnt have any cilantro left so I added parsley and ground coriander instead. I would like to try fresh cilantro another time. The sambousa wrappers were not in the ingredients and not knowing about what sambousa is to somalians I did not realise I would need them but it worked out fine as the filling was good as a dish alone which I served with white basmati rice, Cucumber Salad With Yogurt (Middle East, Palestine) and Tomato and Mint Salad (Shirazi) for a good pretty quick vegetarian meal.