Recipe by oloschiavo
This is a quick and easy curry which you can serve with rice. Don't be afraid to add extra spices - the yogurt side dish will cool you down.
Top Review by kellymbrown
Very good - it needed a little more spice to make it "Curry", in my opinion, rather than "Curried Potatoes and Peas". So we doubled all of the spices (using fennel seed instead of ground fennel), added two tablespoons of cashew butter to cream it up, used fresh tomatoes and skipped the mint (we didn't have any). Also added in a chopped carrot. I served this over quinoa and garnished with fresh cilantro springs. We didn't have yoghurt, so I served with coconut milk seasoned with garam masala. This was a great recipe and we'll be making it again, thanks!
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 (425 g) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon parsley or 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pan.
- Add onion and garlic, cook until onion is soft.
- Add potato and spices, cook another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and water, bring to boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When potato is tender, add peas. Cook until peas are hot.
- Stir yogurt and parsley or mint together in a separate bowl.
- Serve curry over rice with a dollop of cooling yogurt.