1 hr 10 mins
Easy, fast, healthful, and really good! I have called for using parsley root, but if unavailable, use celery or celery root. Adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled (can use a mixture of white and red potatoes)
- 2 parsley roots, scrubbed (or 2-3 celery stalks)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter- I recommend using half oil, half butter)
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups parsley, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper (or use white pepper)
- 6 cups water (or vegetable stock)
- 1/3 cup cream (or half and half or water)
- 1Quarter the potatoes lengthwise and thinly slice. Chop the celery fine or, if using parsley root, grate.
- 2Melt the oil(or butter) in a soup pot and add the potatoes, celery, onion, and bay leaves.
- 3Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Raise the heat, add the wine, and let it reduce until syrupy. Add 1 1/2 cups parsley, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the water; bring to a boil.
- 4Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes have broken apart, about 30 minutes.
- 5Stir in the cream and remaining parsley and heat through.
- 6Taste and season with more salt if needed. Add the pepper. Remove the bay leaves and serve.
- 9Roast 2 heads garlic(with skin left on) that have been rubbed with olive oil, covered with foil(and add a little water to the pan), in a 350*F. oven for 45 minutes. Remove skins and add with the onions and potatoes. You may run the soup through a food mill if desired.
- 11Boil 1 bunch greens(mustard greens are especially good) 10-15 minutes, drain, coarsely chop, and add to soup with 2-3 pinches of red pepper flakes. Serve with a few shavings of Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato and Parsley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (2511 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.8
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 46.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: