Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Oh my yum, but these are good... A very nice starter or accompaniment with drinks from delicious magazine's Italian issue. Serve with shop-bought salsa verde and lemon wedges. Serving size is for 4 people as a side dish, or 16 for a buffet appetizer.
- 700 g potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 large egg yolk
- 50 g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 25 g plain flour, seasoned
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Put potatoes in a pan of cold, salted water, bring to a boil and simmer 12-15 minutes or until tender. Drain well and pass through a ricer or sieve set over a bowl.
- Add egg yolk, cheese, and lots of seasoning to the potato and beat inches.
- Divide into 8 equal balls and flatten into little cakes.
- Tip the seasoned flour onto a plate and coat the potato cakes in the flour.
- Add oil to a large frying pan (it should cover the base - you may need to add more than stated) and set over a medium heat. Fry potato cakes in batches for 2 minutes each side until golden and hot throughout. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Increase heat and fry capers until really crisp, but for no more than a minute. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Lift the cakes onto warm plates, scatter with capers and serve with salsa verde and lemon wedges.