Recipe by Sackville
This is a great comfort-food dish to go with nearly any kind of meat or fish. It comes courtesy of the UK chef Nigel Slater.
- 1 kg waxy potato, peeled
- 125 g butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 30 g finely grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the potatoes into very thin rounds.
- You should almost be able to see through them.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, then pour a little of it over the base of a shallow baking dish.
- Cover the butter with some of the potato slices, overlapping them slightly.
- Pour on a little more butter, then season with salt, black pepper, garlic and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
- Cover that with another layer of potatoes and seasonings, layering until you have used all the potatoes.
- Finish with the remaining butter and another dusting of Parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220 C or 425 F for 45-50 minutes.
- From time to time, press the cake down firmly with a large spatula.
- By the end of the cooking time, the cake should be golden and sizzling around its edges.
- Remove from the oven and leave it to settle slightly for a few minutes before serving.